UPDATED MONDAY, MARCH 23 (11:00 am)
Beginning Tuesday, March 24, Purcell Marian will enact an online distance learning protocol.
On March 12, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine announced a three-week suspension of in-school classes due to the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). Purcell Marian High School will proceed with spring break beginning Friday, March 13 through Monday, March 23 and will implement our online distance learning protocol beginning Tuesday, March 24.
We are committed to ensuring our students continue their education in an effective manner and receive all expected credits in a timely fashion. In order to ensure our school year finishes on schedule, we will begin our online classes led by teachers after our regularly scheduled spring break. A task force has vigorously developed an online protocol, which was communicated with students on March 12 and will be refined with our faculty during a professional development day on Monday, March 23.
When classes resume on March 24, they will be taught online using Google Classroom. Purcell Marian's distance learning plan ensures that students who need support and additional learning resources continue to have access to those services. We will communicate the full scope of the distance learning protocol with parents and students in the coming week.
We will update this page as more information becomes available. You will be able to find all Purcell Marian updates here, as well as links to additional Coronavirus updates and resources.
Information for Parents + Students
Beginning Tuesday, March 24, Purcell Marian will enact our online Distance Learning Protocol
- We will continue to evaluate the latest recommendations from the State of Ohio and CDC to determine how long the distance learning protocol will be in place.
What is Purcell Marian's Distance Learning Plan?
- Purcell Marian is committed to ensuring our students continue their education in an effective manner and receive all expected credits. The essential question here is, How do we support student well-being and academic development in the midst of a major disruption to our daily operations for an extended period of time? How do we continue to foster student learning without being able to meet our students in person?
- Classes will be taught online using Google Classroom and Hangouts Meet. Possible strategies teachers will use include:
- Daily checklists for students to follow
- Clear agendas for the class time
- Quick assignments with short deadlines to keep students engaged
- Short (2-5 min) video assignments throughout the week
- Break assignments into chunks and touch base with them more often to ensure that each piece meets expectations prior to the due date
- Purcell Marian's distance learning plan will ensure that students who need support and additional learning resources will continue to have access to those services.
- Sample Distance Learning Weekly Module Template
Are extracurriculars still happening?
- All extracurricular activities, field trips, etc. have been canceled until further notice.
What is the status of Purcell Marian Athletics?
- All Purcell Marian athletic practices and events have been canceled until further notice.
Ohio Department of Health
Ohio Covid-19 Hotline: (833) 427-5634
Ohio Department of Education